Finding piles of discarded electronics in your drawers and closets, or upgraded to a new device over the holidays? It might be time to recycle your old and used electronics! Never put your electronics in the blue bin, as it can cause damage to recycling facility equipment and harm workers.
Electronics like cellphones, televisions and computers have been recycled in an environmentally safe way instead of being buried in a landfill since 2004.
The City of Calgary is participating in a two-year pilot to help divert even more electronic items from the landfill, such as:
· Small appliances (hair dryers, irons, toasters, shavers, vacuums)
· Audio visual (calculators, radios, headphones and earbuds, microphones)
· Telecom (landline phones, modems and routers)
· Power and air tools (drills, grinders, circular saws)
· Games, toys and music (action figures, toy robots, toy vehicles, guitars)
We will continue to accept the following electronics for recycling. Remember to remove personal data before dropping off electronics.
· Mouse devices, keyboards, cables and speakers
· Laptops, tablets and notebooks
· Printers, copiers and fax machines
· TVs and monitors
Visit calgary.ca/electronics for a complete list of accepted items and City-approved drop-off locations, including City landfills. There is no charge to bring electronics to a City landfill unless your load contains other garbage.